Saturday, June 9, 2012

Barsoom!



So yesterday I went on a quest with the family to find a copy of John Carter. I wanted to get the trio of Blu-ray, DVD, and digital copy that, for some reason, Target only seemed to carry. Sure, the film was released Tuesday, but it wasn't well received by the critics and it didn't do a fantastic business in the box office, there should be copies left, right? NO!!! I had to buy the 4 pack with the 3D Blu-ray in it (useless), at Wal-Mart because that was the only version left! At least it wasn't more expensive than the one that Target was supposed to have, but the actual quest part of this equation was completely unexpected. It did, however, make the movie all the more satisfying to watch when we got home. Watching it again also made it clear why the DVD sales were so good.


As my dad likes to say about this movie, the critics obviously didn't see the same film that we did. It has everything that should appeal in a blockbuster type film. 'Nuff said about that, but it also has meatier bits. It isn't a non-stop action thrill ride. It explores interesting ideas about the environment, feminism, family, and politics. It also has an amazing cast, which is probably another reason it didn't do so well in the box office. It basically transplanted the cast of HBO's Rome series to Mars, with the additions of Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Willem Dafoe. They may not be big names (i.e. not a box office draw), but they all have some major acting chops. Ciaran Hinds makes me happy. It was also nice to see Dominic West in a big theatrical release as he's more of an indie film actor. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of John Carter's back story and the cinematography was gorgeous. The music was wonderful as well, and the framed narrative was a stroke of genius on the part of the writers. Burroughs novels are incredibly episodic, after all they were printed as serials by the big publishing houses of the early 20th century.


That leads to my theory as to the hate coming from the American critics (they loved the movie overseas).


1. It's science-fiction. Sound the death knells there.
2. It's based on pulp fiction. Anything pulp that doesn't have something to do with Quentin Tarantino is not assured of love from critics.
3. American critics don't know what's good until the European critics have spoken and a couple years have gone by.
4. It's Disney. Never mind that Disney was behind such beloved classics as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Treasure Island both based on popular lit and on must see movie lists everywhere.


So I say to all those critics, get over yourselves. This is another Princess Bride.


"Mars. So you name it and think that you know it. The red planet, no air, no life. But you do not know Mars, for its true name is Barsoom. And it is not airless, nor is it dead, but it is dying. The city of Zodanga saw to that." - Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas

4 comments:

  1. Well, my compliments. This is a nice turn of events--a movie theme. I'll stop by more often to see what you recommend. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Hope you're having a relaxing and productive summer!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadia! I hope that things are going for you well at home. I heard about the curfew thing, stay safe!

      Delete
  2. A most excellent review! :D I was also pleasantly surprised by how well made this movie actually was. My expectations were low going in, I'll admit, but it was really fun and a much more complex story line than I had imagined. I wanna watch it when I get back!

    ReplyDelete